PLANET OF THE APES 1968 Costume Designs by Morton Haack


Planet of the Apes (1968) has a special place in my heart since I was a kid. I didn't understand the political, religious or philosophical implication of the film. I just like enjoyed watching the apes walking around.

As I got older, I realized what a masterpiece of film-making it is.

Italian Costume Designer Morton Haack worked on Planet of the Apes and the sequel Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970).

I don't normally post costume design, but this one of more like concept art anyway. They didn't use terms like concept artist or illustrator until later, so I'll use the term loosely.

Check out the images after the jump and click to "embiggen" (enlarge).



















Wikipedia Synopsis:
Planet of the Apes is a 1968 American science fiction film directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, based on the 1963 French novel La Planète des singes by Pierre Boulle. The film stars Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Maurice Evans, Kim Hunter and Linda Harrison. It was the first in a series of five films made between 1968 and 1973, all produced by Arthur P. Jacobs and released by 20th Century Fox. The series was followed by a remake in 2001 and a reboot in 2011.

The film tells the story of an astronaut crew who crash-land on a strange planet in the distant future. Although the planet appears desolate at first, the surviving crew members stumble upon a society in which apes have evolved into creatures with human-like intelligence and speech. The apes have assumed the role of the dominant species and humans are mute creatures wearing animal skins.


Images via Wikia

What do you think of the illustrations?

@ Copyright 1968 20th Century Fox. All rights reserved



A-z Challenge 2013
P is for Planet of the Apes
This post is part of the month long "A-Z Challenge." For 26 days, I'll be choosing a letter from the alphabet and featuring one favorite arts or properties. To read more of the posts in the series click here. To find out more about the challenge go here. Check the Facebook page and follow on Twitter using the hashtag #AtoZChallenge.

Hosted by The Madlab Post (Nicole Ayers), Tossing it Out (Arlee Bird), Amlokiblogs (Damyanti Biswas), Alex J. Cavanaugh (Alex J. Cavanaugh), Life is Good (Tina Downey), Cruising Altitude 2.0 (DL Hammons), Retro-Zombie (Jeremy Hawkins), The Warrior Muse (Shannon Lawrence), The QQQE (Matthew MacNish), Leave it to Livia (Livia Peterson), No Thought 2 Small (Konstanz Silverbow), Breakthrough Blogs (Stephen Tremp) and Spunk on a Stick (L. Diane Wolfe)

Comments

  1. Howdy! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a template
    or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.
    Cheers!

    My site yellow lab and golden Retriever Mix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the man and woman's costumes. They're hardly wearing anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen some of these pictures before but not all of them, thanks for sharing them with other fans of the films. I thought all of the films were great, I have also seen the TV series and its a shame that it was only one season long. I understand that it was cancelled after that time
    thanks again.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I have viewed these images before, I was wondering if you have seen an uncropped version of your Concept_Art45 of the two blonde humans of nova & a human Male

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment